Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why do I do this to myself?

So, the other day I talked about my borderline ocd, which can get in the way of things. What else gets in the way of things? My anxiety. Yeah. I said it. Anxiety. But the worst part is, usually I create the situation to be anxious about myself. And then blow it out of porportion. Sweet. I can remember being really young, like in elementary school, and thinking about the books that I hadn't returned to the library yet that were, like, two weeks overdue. And I would worry about it insanely. Like the borrowed book police were going to come and find me and give me a good talking to. But if I had just returned the books when I was supposed to, there would be no problem, right?

So, I was in Tampa from thursday morning until saturday morning, at a conference where my boss and I presented a poster. Overall, everything was great. About 50 people stopped to talk to us about our poster, which is a decent number considering that the conference was a small one. And my new grey suit looked great. Room was beatiful, king bed with down comforter and down pillows and a chenille blanket. (real chenille, not walmart chenille like I can afford. actually, I can't even afford walmart chenille right now, but that's a discussion for another time...) So, obviously, the trip was a success.

What cannot be called a success? The fact that I forgot to ask for m boarding pass receipt as I got on the plane from Providence to Tampa. I had been warned before I left to SAVE EVERYHTING. Food receipts, even though I get per diem. Hotel receipt. Plane stuff. But i handed over my boarding pass and walked halfway down the gangway (gangway?) and realized that I forgot to ask for the other half of the ticket back. I could have walked back up and asked for it, but wh wants to look like an idiot? (see? WHY DO I WORK AGAINST MYSELF LIKE THIS?). I was like, no prob. I'll worry about it later. And now I am.

So I called southwest this morning, gave my conformation number to Lori, who was wonderful, and she e-mailed me my receipt and itinerary. But I am still worried. This is not the same as a boarding pass. What if it is not good enough? I have the e-mailed receipt, my baggage claim tickets, and the little sleeve that says which gate the plane left from, but no little receipt from boarding pass. WHY DOES THIS MATTER? I should really just go and hand it in, and they will probably say 'no prblem, stacey. This is plenty of information. Thanks for taking the initiative and contacting southwest yourself. Great job!'

But what if they don't? Gah! I really should be medicated...

1 comment:

Jess said...

I was a worrier when I was a kid too, but I mostly grew out of it. It sounds to me like the boarding pass thing will be fine. You have plenty of confirmation.

I'm glad the conference went well!