Monday, January 28, 2008

Weekend Update - Minus Norm MacDonald

When I was in junior high and high school I used to have saturday sleepovers with my best friend L. These fabulous sleepovers would usually involve us being determined to Stay Up! All Night! We usually had pizza and watched some combination of chick movies, like flashdance, dirty dancing, somewhere in time, center stage...The list goes on. Sometimes L. would even do my makeup. She had a really great Kevyn Aucoin book that had makeup made famous by different celebrities. After the makeup and chick movies, we would always hunker down to watch Saturday Night Live (back when it was good, with molly shannon and will ferrel). Everything would be great, until it was time to listen to the stupid Weekend Update with Norm MacDonald. It was so boring I would always be like "I'll just close my eyes for a minute and be all rested for the spartans". And then i would wake up at 8am. The point of sharing this little anecdote with you is to let you know that this is my version of the weekend update, and hopefully you won't fall asleep in the middle of it...

Friday night dinner: In addition to some awesome home made chicken pot pie, my brother J., who is a fabulous cook, also made some amazing Brussels sprouts (no, not an oxymoron...) he cut them in half and sauteed them with olive oil, butter, fresh garlic, salt, and pepper. AMAZING. None of the kids got nekked, but we did manage to make fun of N. (the nephew in kindergarten) about his boogery noise until he burst into tears. It was time to have birthday cake and he was sitting in a chair by himself. I went over to ask him if he wanted some cake, and he started crying and wouldn't stop. I brought him into the other room and he told me that we had made fun of his boogers too much. I almost burst into tears too, because I remember being made fun of all the time when I was little. Partly because I was the only girl with three brothers, and partly because I was a twerp. My mom always said that they only made fun of me because they loved me.If they didn't like me, they would ignore me. Thanks for the support, mom. Anyway, N. calmed down. When he gets older he really will understand that it is how we show affection...

Saturday: Mike and I stayed over at my parents house on friday night because I had a hair appointment the next day where they live, which is about 35 minutes form my house. The bed we slept in made my back hurt, but saturday morning meant a super long hot shower in water that was actually HOT. One of the down sides of living in an apartment in an old farm house is that it takes about 20 minutes for the water to get hot. And by hot i mean slightly warmer than luke warm (is that how I spell that?) and then it may only be warm for about 7 minutes. Not only did I get a hot shower, I also got to listen to my mom's Lovelines CD by the carpenters while I basked in the warmth...(Heather would understand...) The hair appt. was great. I also went to the gym, and our friends came over for dinner. We served awesome chicken pot pie leftovers...(Thanks mom!)

I went to church with my mom and dad on sunday. My feelings about religion are a post for another day, but I really like our new minister (a woman.) She writes really good sermons. She preached about making faith based decisions in areas of your life. It was great, and I was like yeah, I really should try to make sure I am living out my values. Maybe I should be less critical. It lasted for about an hour, until after church when we were making valentines for members of the congregation who are older and don't get out much. There was one woman who kept harping on her husband as he made his valentine:

"WHY ARE YOU GLUING THAT THERE? IT'S A STICKER, IT DOESN'T NEED GLUE! YOU NEED TO WRITE SOMETHING INSIDE! WHY DID YOU WRITE THAT? YOU USED TOO MUCH GLUE! YOU NEED MORE GLUE!

OH. MY. GOD.

I wanted to reach across the table and burn a hole into her with my eyes as I said "Your husband is in his sixties. i. think. he. can. handle. this. SO SHUT UP!

Obviously, I am a super christian...

I spent a lot of time in the car this weekend, and kept thinking about what I wanted to write about this week. I wished I had a little tape recorder. I can never remember how I want to say things when it is time... So, here are some things you can look forward to reading this week:

My Fictional Heroes
Sebastian, or, "Why I have turned into a future (present?) crazy cat lady...
Who I would cast in a movie of my life, part 1
Who I would cast in a movie of my life, part 2

So yeah! That's it! Have a good day!

4 comments:

Jess said...

I love Kevyn Aucoin and I'm really sad that he's dead and especially that he died so young. His books are genius.

I hope you're having a good day too!

Unknown said...

I think we have graduated from office friends to actual friends. yay.

Unknown said...

extreme makeover makes you cry. fact. that may be included in the "tv" crying moments.

Maxie said...

I had a Kevyn Aucoin book too! Sometimes I still look at it for ideas. The stuff in there was crazy.

And yes, SNL sucks now. It used to be so funny. It breaks my heart :-(

You know what else breaks my heart? The fact that I was not at these sleepovers. My heart belongs to dance movies-- ask anyone... i am completely obsessed with them.

I'm looking forward to the who would I cast in a movie of my life... very cool idea for a post.