Monday, February 4, 2008

One month in: The RAGE Comes Out...

So, when I thought about starting a blog in the past, I was always like, no, everyone will get sick of me raging and complaining all of the time. So I think that now that I have started blogging, I have done a pretty good job keeping the rage in check. Which is impressive, since my co-worker Kyle, who I share an office with and is in my program, likes to tell people that, unlike what they may think of me, I DO have feelings, but my feelings include rage, hatred, and anger. But, dear readers, TODAY IS THE DAY.

I was really excited for today, because the director of residence life asked me to come to the res life hall directors meeting today to give an introductory presentation about student learning outcomes. I am super flattered that he asked me, and psyched that it could go on my resume under "on campus presentations".

So, the meeting was being held in the lounge of one of our newest buildings on campus, eddy hall. We have at least 5 new buildings on campus, and since I don't make it down to the res life area with the dorms often, I wanted to make sure I was going the right place. So I asked people in my office, and no one was positive. So I went downstairs to the information desk, where one goes to find pertinent campus information.

The info desk had a map that did not include any of the new dorms. AWESOME.

I then ask the person working at the info desk where eddy hall is. She proceeds to take the map and draw a circle around where the building is, and tell me what building it is behind. I am a little nervous, since it is all the way across campus, and not sure how my steve madden mary janes are going to handle it.

So I set off, carrying my bag and the laptop in it's case. And in about three minutes, my feet are ON FIRE. Even awesomer. I get almost to the dorm, and trip and fall as i am stepping off the curb. It's ok, no one saw me.

I approach the dorm identified by the circle on the map, and guess what? THE SIGN DOES NOT SAY EDDY HALL, IT SAYS WILEY HALL! WILEY HALL! NOT THE SAME AS EDDY HALL! WHAT THE FUCK! IF I HAD A CHOICE AND MACHETE, I WOULD CUT MY FEET OFF RIGHT NOW!

so there was a woman talking on a cellphone outside of wiley hall, who must have thought i was crazy when i frantically shouted to her "do you know where eddy hall is?"

cellphone lady: wwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, you. need to. drive back down this street. then take a left. aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddd, then another left....

I don't have a car! I'm on foot! What building is it next to?

Um, it's behind browning?

Oh god. Browning? My heart sank. I was supposed to be in the meeting now, 15 minutes early and setting up the laptop and projector, talking to my contact there to make sure that we were on the same page with what needed to be discussed more thoroughly and what needed to be glossed over. BROWNING IS BACK ACROSS CAMPUS. TWO BUILDINGS AWAY FORM WHERE I STARTED.

So, I walked from wiley to eddy, feet burning, sweating, bangs sticking to ym head, filled with visions of me looking like an asshole. I finally got there, made a joke in front of the directors about why I was a little late, and gave an overall very good presentation.

And now, the rage:

WHAT THE FUCK, PERSON AT THE INFORMATION DESK, WHAT THE FUCK?

JUST SO YOU KNOW, WILEY HALL AND EDDY HALL ARE NOT THE SAME THING. IN FACT, THEY ARE ON OPPOSITE SIDES OF THE CAMPUS. AND I HAVE THE BLISTERS AND BURNED SOLES TO PROVE IT.

I love how you were confidant enought to DRAW A CIRCLE AROUND THE MAP. Do you know why they don't call it the "correct information" desk? BECAUSE the CORRECT is IMPLIED!

JESUS CHRIST!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! What a horrible mess! I'm glad you got there and held it together enough to make a joke and give a good presentation. Go you.

By the way, it's totally cool to rage sometimes. ESPECIALLY with all caps. Sometimes you just need to get it out.

Maxie said...

Oh. My. God. I would have seriously gone back to the desk and chewed them out.

The Ex said...

I think...I just fell in love with this blog.