Friday, February 8, 2008

Now Accepting Applications and Scheduling Interviews...

So everyone knows that breaking up is hard to do, but what happens when you're not the couple breaking up, but the couple breaking up is your "friend couple"? You know, the couple that is your standard for dinners, parties, and other general fun? It looks like Mike and I might be facing this problem sooner than later...

A little backstory: we met C and A when we moved into our first apartment in March of 2006. The apartment was a tiny efficiency behind a bigger house that had 3 apartments, one on each floor. C and A lived on the top floor, and we soon became good friends. We had dinner together all of the time, or just hung out to watch lots of family guy on dvd. We go canoeing in the spring and summer, and to the county fair. C and Mike go off and do guy stuff together, and A and I like to cook together, go to yard sales and fleamarkets, and we go to the gym together all of the time. Not only do we have tons of fun together, this couple is also our "gateway couple": we meet couples through them and get invited to stuff, but I don't know if that would still be the case if C and A decide to break it off.

I guess the reason why we work so well together is because Mike and I are completely different, and sometimes it is hard for us to find couples to hang out with that we both get along with. But with C and A, we were different in the same ways, so not only did we have fun together, we could understand and appreciate the nuances of each other's relationship, because we were having similar experiences.

So, as of now, I really hope they don't break up. A is pretty close to my best friend right now, and I want her to be happy, but I am going to miss C and A as a couple. and I really don't feel like looking for a replacement. The original is always better...

3 comments:

Jess said...

This situation is really tough. My sister is getting divorced and I've always viewed her husband as a friend, so even though obviously my relationship with her comes first, it's been difficult for me. I hope you're able to remain friends with both C and A if they break up, even if it isn't the same.

Maxie said...

My ex and I went through this once. We actually ended up continuing the relationships separately. I was friends with the girl and he was friends with the guy...in fact, even though we're not together anymore, I hang out with the girl all the time.

Unknown said...

thanks a lot Stacey. That song will be in my head all day today.